Upskill your role within the platform team
The API platform engineering fundamentals programme will equip you with the skills and knowledge to architect, develop, and deploy cloud-native API platforms.
|Programme duration||7 + 1 weeks|
|Session duration||60-90 mins (1 per week)|
Platform teams, SREs, platform engineers, DevOps engineers, platform engineering managers, staff engineers,
|Pre-requirements:||– Basic understanding of APIs
– Enthusiasm for learning about platform engineering concepts
|Assessment||6 quizzes, 1 after each session|
7 reasons to join the 7-week programme
- Understand the processes, people and API platforms that make platform teams successful
- Learn how to design, build, and manage API platforms effectively, allowing your company’s developers to create robust, scalable, and user-friendly applications.
- Connect with platform engineering industry thought leaders that guide you through real-world scenarios, hands-on projects, and best practices
- Understand the role of platform engineering inside a business, how to achieve a platform team’s objectives & how teams collaborate with others in their organisation.
- Dig into the developer tools and processes that make platform teams stick.
- Upon completion, earn an “API Platform Engineering | Fundamentals” certificate for your professional profile.
- Designed together with Tyk’s API platform leads and guests from world-class platform teams, engineering and infrastructure teams at businesses all over the world; from banks, to oceans, to outer space.
Module 1: Oct 5, 2023
6pm BST / 1pm EST
An introduction to API platform engineering
- What is an API platform and why does it matter?
- Unpacking the core concepts of platform engineering in everyday terms
- Exploring the relationship between platform engineering and successful APIs
Module 2: Oct 12, 2023
6pm BST / 1pm EST
Jobs to be done and how to achieve them
- A workshop creating JTBD based on job roles
- Applying design thinking principles to find pain points for platform teams
- Discussion about how to address the JTBD for technical and non-technical audiences
Module 3: Oct 19, 2023
6pm BST / 1pm EST
The platform team’s toolkit: The three P’s
- People: Platform team structure, collaboration
- Processes: Agile development, feedback, testing, automation
- Products: Tools that help platform teams succeed
Module 4: Nov 2, 2023
5pm GMT / 1pm EST
Building and securing scalable API platforms
- An in depth look at different types of API security
- The role of open standards like OAuth, OAS and OpenTelemetry
- Governance: planning beyond launch day, conventions, access control and data sovereignty
Module 5: Nov 9, 2023
How API management can address key JTBD
- Traffic management and monitoring for API security
- A no-code/low code solution for removing data silos
- Productising and monetising APIs using a developer portal
Module 6: Nov 16, 2023
Measuring success and the future of platform engineering
- Which metrics matter and how to measure them
- How to choose the right KPIs to define success and failure
- How to tackle new and emerging technologies like AI
Module 7: Nov 22, 2023
BONUS: Post-programme hangout
Your chance to ask questions, discuss key learnings and celebrate the successful completion of the programme!
The programme is led by industry professionals with extensive experience in platform engineering and API development.
Learn by doing
Engage in real-world projects that challenge you to apply your knowledge and skills to practical scenarios.
Earn a certificate
Gain a valuable certification that can enhance your career prospects and showcase your expertise to potential employers.
Meet your programme lead
Budha Bhattacharya is a Developer Advocate at Tyk, responsible for product education, community engagement, and open-source ecosystem expansion. He is the host of the All About APIs podcast as well as the API hangout where he engages with developers and business leaders on all things APIs including product management, platform engineering, API security, open source and open standards.
In his spare time, he enjoys trying out new gadgets, learning different dance styles and watching horror movies!
When does the programme start?
Programme starts on Thursday, October 5 2023 and takes place every Thursday for the following 6 weeks.
Does it cost anything?
The programme is totally free. You will, however, need to put in the time to take the programme quizzes in order to receive the certificate.
What do I get at the end?
All attendees that pass the quizzes will get an API platform engineering fundamentals certification.
Can I start at a later date?
Yes, if you sign up at a later date (but before the programme ends), you will get access to the programme recordings, past quizzes and an invite to the upcoming events.
Will I get the recording if I can't make the call?
Yes you will, provided you’ve signed up for the programme.
I have a suggestion or a question with regard to the programme, who can I talk to?
We would love to hear your feedback. If you have any questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us at [email protected]