Who is Tyk, and what do we do?
The Tyk API Management platform is helping to drive the connected world and power new products and services. We’re changing the way that organisations connect any number of their systems and services.Whether internal, external, public or highly encrypted systems, Tyk helps businesses drive value across the retail, finance, telecoms, healthcare, or media industries (to name just a few!) If you’ve banked online, used an app to check the news, or perhaps even driven a connected car, API’s, and by extension, Tyk, make that possible. Founded in 2015 with offices in London – UK, London – Ontario, Atlanta and Singapore, we have many thousands of users of our B2B platform across the globe. Brands using Tyk range from Lotte, Bell, Dominos, Starbucks, to RBS and Societe Generale. We have a varied user base hailing from every continent – even Antarctica.
Tyk is on a mission to connect every system in the world. We’ve started by building an API Management platform.
Total flexibility, default remote, radical responsibility
We offer unlimited paid holidays and remote working from anywhere in the world, for everyone, Why? Tyk was founded on the principle of offering flexibility and autonomy to our employees, we believe this allows our employees to achieve their best results. It also means we can build the best possible team, location and working hours are no barrier.
If this sounds like an environment that you believe could work for you then read on to find out more:
At Tyk, we’re obsessed with building software that solves problems. We count on our site reliability engineers (SREs) to empower users with a rich feature set, high availability, and stellar performance level to pursue their missions.
Our customer base is growing, so we’re seeking an experienced SRE to optimize, automate, and improve our performance, using insights from massive-scale data in real time. We want an original thinker, a challenger, a technical legend, an opinionated collaborator who wants to make things better.
Here’s what you’ll be getting up to:
- Ensuring that our production Cloud environment is running to defined SLA’s through proactive monitoring
- Identifying opportunities and need for where we can build proactive alerting and monitoring, agreeing these with Senior SRE, and implementing these
- Inputting into the definition of the key performance metrics for Cloud, to ensure we have a key set of KPIs to improve from
- Gathering and analysing metrics from operating systems as well as applications to assist in performance tuning and fault finding
- Measuring and optimising system and infrastructure performance, with an eye toward pushing our capabilities forward, getting ahead of customer needs, and innovating for continual improvement
- Taking input from commercial functions, relating to customer growth, and driving ways of optimising the platform so it can hit scaling demand
- Analysing our Cloud infra and ensure we automate, scale, and manage our cloud infrastructure
- Executing automation for known cloud-operations tasks, and create new automation for new situations or issues I encounter; I aim to automate everything
- Designing, writing and delivering software and automation to dramatically improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of PaaS services
- Inputting into blame-free root cause analysis meetings in the event of a production-systems incident so that the team can learn from mistakes and improve our systems and run books
- Creating and contributing to policies and runbooks to ensure everything we learn and execute is documented and repeatable, and that our operational processes are documented and followed
- Providing on call support to ensure Cloud has a follow the sun model through attending alerts, hitting SLA in terms of response and fix, ticket triage, and automation of root cause
- Planning and executing software upgrades relating to keeping Cloud optimised, such as Kubernetes versions
- Planning, executing, and communicating migrations from Classic Cloud to new Cloud
- Supporting Commercial teams with ad hoc requests for information, such as amount of users on certain tiers, and closing Classic Cloud accounts
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Strong collaboration skills
- Launching and operating production Kubernetes clusters
- Designing and operating infrastructure on AWS and other providers
- Operating MongoDB (or other document database) clusters
- Operating Redis (or other key-value storage) clusters
- Administering Linux servers
- Maintaining distributed software
- Operating Prometheus and Grafana
- Operating logging collection and analysis systems
- Kubernetes & containers (proficient)
- Go and/or Python (advanced)
- AWS (proficient)
- Linux (proficient)
- Terraform and IaC in general (proficient)
- Helm (familiar)
- MongoDB (or similar)
- Redis (or similar)
- Monitoring & logging
- Grasp of networking concepts (subnets, routing, peering, load balancing, NAT, etc.)
- Common networking protocols (DNS, TCP/IP, HTTP, TLS, UDP)
Here’s why you should join us:
- Everyone has unlimited paid holiday.
- We have total flexibility in hours, as we believe creativity flows better when our people are given freedom to decide when they are most productive. Everyone is unique after all.
- Employee share scheme
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- Company retreats
We all share the same vision – we value authenticity, respect, responsibility, independence, honesty, diversity and inclusion and most importantly treating others how you wish to be treated. We look for like-minded people who bring their personalities to work everyday, strive to achieve their personal goals and who are willing to challenge the way we do things, why? – to make what we do even better!
Our values tell the story of Tyk – here’s how:
- It’s ok to screw up!
We’ve found that it’s often the ‘stupid’ or unexpected ideas that turn out to be the successful ones – so try it, at least we can say we have!
- The only stupid idea, is the untested one!
It’s in our DNA – starting a business with founders 12 hours apart, giving our gateway away for free – sure, we did that, and we’d do it again!
- Trust starts with you – make it count!
Trust is a two-way street – instill it from day one!
- Assume best intent!
We have each other’s back – we’re all on the same team. Think before you speak or act.
- Make things, better!
Always try to leave things better than when you found them – change is constant, inevitable and embraced! Be that change we want to see.
What’s it like to work here?! check it out: https://tyk.io/worklife/
Tyk is an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
You can see more about us here https://tyk.io