The Tyk Dashboard offers a platform for you to view, analyse and track how your APIs are performing, as well as a management interface that lets you:
- Manage users with access to the dashboard
- Manage APIs that are loaded by your tyk nodes
- Manage webhooks that are used by your APIs to communicate messages, events and actions to your other infrastructure
- Manage your API Portal pages, developers and key requests
- Manage API portal catalogue and associated documentation (Swagger or API Blueprint markdown)
- View detailed analytics of your API
The Tyk Dashboard API
The dashboard is also the main provider of the advanced managmeent API, and the GUI is essentially an API client of this API. The Advanced API provides highly granular, managed and multi-tenanted management functionality for your infrastructure, and acts as the main integration layer in a Pro setup.
The Dashboard API, also called the Advanced API Management API, is documented separately in a dedicated section.
High-level Tyk Pro Architecture
A full Tyk install that deploys the dashboard will consist of:
- Tyk Nodes: to manage your APIs, providing a security layer and gateway to upstream services
- Redis: The primary key store
- MongoDB: The primary analytics store, Tyk Pump will purge analytics into MongoDB periodically
- The Dashboard: an API client that provides a GUI to your management functions and analytics
This set up enables a distributed, orchestrated cluster of Tyk nodes to manage your upstream APIs and a centralised (scalable) command and control API that provides granular, user-baed administrative access to an organisations APIs. The full Tyk stack provides a platform for managing multi-owner, multi-tenant API structure wiht a friendly UI.
Tyk stores it’s analytics data in MongoDB, and MongoDB 2.6+ is a requirement for analytics to function correctly. Tyk Dashboard uses the Advanced Management API to store and manage configurations in this database. Tyk nodes will pull configurations from the DB when a reload or load event occurs.
The Dashboard is an API client and speaks directly to a Tyk node and to the Advanced Management API, it provides a graphic user interface to these functions as well as a graphical view of your analytics data, enabling you to drill-down into API performance according to various factors.
A common question around using a database-backed configuration is how to programatically add API definitions to your Tyk nodes, the dashboard comes bundled with the Advanced Management API (and is in itself a client of this API), our Advanced API allows much more fine-grained, secure and multi-user access to your Tyk cluster, and should be used to manage a database-backed Tyk node.
The full API is documented separately in the Dashboard API section of the site.