Tyk-Sync is a command line tool and library to manage and synchronise a Tyk installation with your version control system (VCS).
NOTE: Tyk-Sync works with APIs and Policies. It does not work with Keys. See Move Keys between environments for details.
- Update APIs and Policies on remote Tyk Dashboards
- Update APIs on remote Tyk Community Edition Gateways
- Publish APIS/Policies to remote Tyk Dashboards
- Publish APIs to remote Tyk Community Edition Gateways
- Synchronise a Tyk Dashboard’s APIs and Policies with your VCS (one-way, definitions are written to the Dashboard)
- Synchronise a Tyk Community Edition Gateway APIs with those stored in a VCS (one-way, definitions are written to the Gateway)
- Dump Policies and APIs in a transportable format from a Dashboard to a directory
- Support for importing, converting and publishing Swagger (Open API Spec) files to Tyk.
- Specialized support for Git. But since API and policy definitions can be read directly from the file system, it will integrate with any VCS.
Tyk-Sync tries to be clever about what APIs and Policies to update and which to create, it will actually base all
ID matching on the API ID and the masked Policy ID, so it can identify the same object across installations. Tyk has
a tendency to generate fresh IDs for all new Objects, so Tyk-Sync gets around this by using portable IDs and ensuring
the necessary portable IDs are set when using the
This means that Tyk-Sync can be used to back-up your most important API Gateway configurations as code, and to deploy those configurations to any target and ensure that API IDs and Policy IDs will remain consistent, ensuring that any dependent tokens continue to have access to your services.
- Tyk-Sync was built using Go 1.10. The minimum Go version required to install is 1.7.
- In order for policy ID matching to work correctly, your Gateway must have
- It is assumed you have a Tyk CE or Tyk Pro installation.
Currently the application is only available via Go, so to install you must have Go installed and run:
go install -u github.com/TykTechnologies/tyk-sync
This should make the
tyk-sync command available to your console.
See our Tyc-Sync Repo for more info.
Usage: tyk-sync [flags] tyk-sync [command] Available Commands: dump Dump will extract policies and APIs from a target (dashboard) help Help about any command publish publish API definitions from a Git repo or file system to a gateway or dashboard sync Synchronise a github repo or file system with a gateway update A brief description of your command Flags: -h, --help help for tyk-sync Use "tyk-sync [command] --help" for more information about a command.
Example: Transfer from one Tyk Dashboard to another
First, we need to extract the data from our Tyk Dashboard, here we
dump into ./tmp, let’s assume this is a git-enabled
tyk-sync dump -d="http://localhost:3000" -s="b2d420ca5302442b6f20100f76de7d83" -t="./tmp" Extracting APIs and Policies from http://localhost:3000 > Fetching policies --> Identified 1 policies --> Fetching and cleaning policy objects > Fetching APIs --> Fetched 3 APIs > Creating spec file in: tmp/.tyk.json Done.
Next, let’s push those changes back to the Git repo on the branch
cd tmp git add . git commit -m "My dashboard dump" git push -u origin my-test-branch
Now to restore this data directly from GitHub:
tyk-sync sync -d="http://localhost:3010" -s="b2d420ca5302442b6f20100f76de7d83" -b="refs/heads/my-test-branch" https://github.com/myname/my-test.git Using publisher: Dashboard Publisher Fetched 3 definitions Fetched 1 policies Processing APIs... Deleting: 0 Updating: 3 Creating: 0 SYNC Updating: 598ec94f9695f201730d835b SYNC Updating: 598ec9589695f201730d835c SYNC Updating: 5990cfee9695f201730d836e Processing Policies... Deleting policies: 0 Updating policies: 1 Creating policies: 0 SYNC Updating Policy: Test policy 1 --> Found policy using explicit ID, substituting remote ID for update
The command provides output to identify which actions have been taken. If using a Tyk Gateway, the Gateway will be automatically hot-reloaded.