Who are Tyk, and what do we do?
The Tyk API Management platform is helping to drive the connected world and power new products and services. We’re changing the way that organisations connect any number of their systems and services.Whether internal, external, public or highly encrypted systems, Tyk helps businesses drive value across the retail, finance, telecoms, healthcare, or media industries (to name just a few!)
If you’ve banked online, used an app to check the news, or perhaps even driven a connected car, API’s, and by extension, Tyk, make that possible. Founded in 2015 with offices in London, Atlanta and Singapore, we have many thousands of users of our B2B platform across the globe. Brands using Tyk range from Lotte, Bell, Dominos, Starbucks, to RBS and Societe Generale. We have a varied user base hailing from every continent – even Antarctica.
Tyk is on a mission to connect every system in the world. We’ve started by building an API Management platform.
Total flexibility, default remote, radical responsibility
We offer unlimited paid holidays and remote working from anywhere in the world, for everyone, Why? Tyk was founded on the principle of offering flexibility and autonomy to our employees, we believe this allows our employees to achieve their best results. It also means we can build the best possible team, location and working hours are no barrier.
If this sounds like an environment that you believe could work for you then read on to find out more.
Tyk aims to provide the best user experience to our range of API management customers. Our users range from software and API developers, to API product managers, platform engineers and technical architects. We are looking for someone with a passion and drive to always be improving our UX and on the hunt for finding out the true user needs. You should be comfortable across the entire UX lifecycle, creating user journey maps, defining use cases, user workflows, wireframes, prototypes etc. But just as important, we’re looking for someone who understands the technology and tooling around API management, and gets excited about designing for developer tools and improving those experiences.
In our world, a typical GUI is a small part of what we do, our users interact with our product through APIs, CLIs, SDKs too, so we need someone who is comfortable with designing experiences in these areas. You will need to be a true problem solver, with the ability to really get into the nitty gritty of complex developer software experiences.
This is a remote role for people based in EMEA, to be part of a distributed and growing team, with a great culture and plenty of room to help us shape things going forward!
Here’s what you’ll be getting up to:
- Attending product standups as the UX expert
- Planning and running UX workshops
- Creating user workflows, storyboards, wireframes and prototypes
- Collaborating with front-end developers, particularly during build phase
- Participating in design reviews with the rest of the UX team
Here’s what you’ll be responsible for:
- Collaborating with other designers, developers and stakeholders to design enterprise and developer experiences within a particular product area
- Translate an understanding of API management workflows into flows, story boards and prototypes
- Champion a design thinking mindset within a single product area and across the rest of the organisation
- Helping to define personas and user needs in collaboration with our user researcher
- Develop and own the user journeys, wireframes and interactive prototypes for complex developer and enterprise experiences within a specific product area
- Guide your team in creating product experiences that sit at the intersection of human value, business viability and technical feasibility
- Working closely with the development teams to ensure there is a common understanding and direction for any UX activities and workflows
- Using and contributing to the Tyk Design System, including the component library and the processes around it
- Share and gather feedback on designs throughout projects and share with the rest of your product and UX team
- Communicating and advocating what is best for the user throughout the organisation
- Communicating design ideas internally and externally
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Experience designing for technical developer and enterprise (B2B) tooling
- Experience working with and driving a design thinking framework
- Experience working with projects from conception through to delivery
- Experience communicating and presenting designs internally and externally
- Experience in helping teams and organisations make evidence based decisions
- Experience in establishing and / or working with a design system
- Ability to use standard set of design software (we use Figma & Miro)
- Confidence in communicating designs to a wide range of stakeholders
- Creative, innovative and problem-solving mindset
- Ability to see things from both a macro and micro level (and know when to focus on each)
- Broad knowledge of the end to end design capabilities (research, UX, visual)
- Deep knowledge of UI and interaction design
- Inspiring others with evidence-based storytelling
- Ability to work remotely with a distributed team
- Willingness to learn about new concepts and adopt new tools
- Ability to work on multiple workstreams at any one time (the nature of being part of a growing startup)
- Quickly and easily get up to speed on complex technical user workflows
Here’s why you should join us:
- Everyone has unlimited paid holiday.
- We have total flexibility in hours, as we believe creativity flows better when our people are given freedom to decide when they are most productive. Everyone is unique after all.
- Employee share scheme
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- Company retreats
We all share the same vision – we value authenticity, respect, responsibility, independence, honesty, diversity and inclusion and most importantly treating others how you wish to be treated. We look for like-minded people who bring their personalities to work everyday, strive to achieve their personal goals and who are willing to challenge the way we do things, why? – to make what we do even better!
Our values tell the story of Tyk – here’s how:
- It’s ok to screw up!
We’ve found that it’s often the ‘stupid’ or unexpected ideas that turn out to be the successful ones – so try it, at least we can say we have!
- The only stupid idea, is the untested one!
It’s in our DNA – starting a business with founders 12 hours apart, giving our gateway away for free – sure, we did that, and we’d do it again!
- Trust starts with you – make it count!
Trust is a two-way street – instill it from day one!
- Assume best intent!
We have each other’s back – we’re all on the same team. Think before you speak or act.
- Make things, better!
Always try to leave things better than when you found them – change is constant, inevitable and embraced! Be that change we want to see.
What’s it like to work here?! check it out: https://tyk.io/worklife/
Tyk is an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
You can see more about us here https://tyk.io