Who are Tyk, and what do we do?
The Tyk API Management platform is helping to drive the connected world and power new products and services. We’re changing the way that organisations connect their systems and services. Whether internal, external, public or highly encrypted systems, Tyk helps businesses drive value across multiple industries. If you’ve banked online, used an app to check the news, or even driven a connected car, API’s, and by extension, Tyk, make that possible. Founded in 2015 with offices in London, Atlanta and Singapore, we have many thousands of users of our B2B platform across the globe. Brands using Tyk range from Singapore Post to global organisations like the Financial Times, and Starbucks.
The internet started by connecting mainframes, by the end of the 20th century 600m desktop and laptop computers exchanged email and web-traffic. Today around 15 billion ‘things’ are connected to the internet, growing at a rate of a billion per year. Tyk are committed to enabling interconnectivity between systems and between devices. We’ve started by building an API Management platform.
Total flexibility, default remote, radical responsibility
We offer unlimited paid holidays and remote working from anywhere in the world, for everyone – for real. Why? Tyk was founded on the principle of doing things differently and offering flexibility and autonomy to our employees are two principles that, we believe, allow our employees to achieve their best results. It also means we can build the best possible team, location and working hours are no barrier. If this sounds like an environment that you believe could work for you then read on to find out more:
What can you do with us?
At Tyk we are passionate about building the best, and most innovative, API Management Platform to empower development teams across the world. Seen as ‘visionaries’ by Gartner, we are pushing the boundaries in the industry enabling developers to focus on what really matters. We are on a mission to connect every system in the world, and we are looking for a Senior Product Manager to help us get there.
Senior Product Managers at Tyk own the direction, strategy and vision of a single product area from concept through to release. In this outward facing role, you’ll have a great level of autonomy, expected to collaborate with every part of the business, our customers and users, and to define and validate your product direction.
The product area for this role is Platform Enablement, which is about ensuring our users can integrate Tyk products into their environment in an efficient, reliable and secure way. Our customers have complex and distributed architectures, complex security requirements and vast volume of data to transfer. The nature of this product area will require someone who is comfortable in a technical environment, who understands development lifecycles and can think about multiple interaction points including, but not limited to, APIs, CLIs, and GUIs.
Here’s what you’ll be getting up to:
This is a strategic product management position, and the delivery aspects of the role will be covered by targeted delivery squads which have their own operational product manager. You will work closely with these squads but will not be responsible for the day to day delivery, backlog management, ticket creation etc. but you are encouraged to submit ideas which continuously improve our delivery.
- Work hand in hand with technical leads, UX designers and other teams to ensure the product has business value, user value and technical feasibility
- Work directly with the delivery product manager and scrum master in your product area to deliver on your strategic vision in an efficient time scale
- Work with the commercial team to identify specific areas of opportunity in our existing customer base
- Work with the marketing team to accurately depict the value proposition of your existing and upcoming product work
- Work with the user research team to identify areas of opportunity within the wider market of potential users
- Collaborate with the UX team to document user types, user journeys and workflows for your specific product area
- Actively participate in customer activities that involve your product area to develop and evangelise the strategy you create e.g. webinars
What this role will be responsible for:
Product direction & innovation
- Deliver a comprehensive vision for your product area
- Maintain an outcome driven product roadmap
- Effectively prioritise new capability, enhancements, bug fixes and innovation projects
- Make balanced decisions based on user needs, the market and commercial needs
- Listen to and process product requests from both internal and external stakeholders
- Prioritise themes of work and identify how we can release value in small increments
- Contribute to the direction of the overall product strategy
- Build a culture of innovation by empowering the team around you to identify ideas and areas of opportunity
Product & market understanding
- Become a domain knowledge expert and evangelist for your product area
- Develop a deep understanding of the wider API management and developer ecosystem
- Identify and maintain a library of core use cases for others to consume
- Understand and communicate the end to end user journeys and touchpoints
- Help the commercial team to build effective pricing strategies for your product area
Internal & external communication
- Provide ongoing communications about your product area to build awareness, momentum and excitement
- Ensure a constant two way line of communication with other teams within Tyk about your vision, priorities and roadmap
- Participate in customer facing meetings, presentations and webinars to both learn and share information
- Regularly publish content to both internal and external audiences to publicise existing and new product capability
Product lifecycle management
- Discovery and concept planning for new and existing product ideas
- Own the go to market strategy and collaborate with stakeholders from other teams
- measure and report on the commercial impact of your product area
- Collaborate with other product managers to align on strategy and release plans
- Work closely with delivery squads (team of UX, Engineers, QA, Scrum Master, and Operational product managers) to empower them to deliver on the product visionNote:
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Experience owning the end to end product lifecycle in a technical product area
- Understanding of Development team ecosystems and environments (cloud/SaaS, hybrid, on-prem)
- Effective stakeholder management, negotiation and collaboration skills (both internal and external) – there will be competing priorities that you’ll need to manage
- Customer centric mindset and data driven approach to product strategy
- Great communication skills – responsible for pulling together multiple stakeholders with varying needs and expectations, need to align everyone
- Clear understanding of how APIs work and the main challenges with managing APIs
- Product & Systems thinking – Tyk is a complex technical product and you’ll be required to understand the ins and outs of the full user and system lifecycle
Our early stage team members are shaping our business, there is an attractive package based on experience and performance that includes share options. Everyone has unlimited paid holiday. We have total flexibility in hours, so plan your day around your commitments to ensure you can give your best at work and at home. You will work with a talented, and passionate team of industry experts, who are developing a cutting-edge product that is driving change and innovation within startups and household names alike. We’re a distributed team. Work from our offices during induction if you want, once you are up to speed, you can work from home, a cafe, wherever you get your best work done, we’ll support you in making that happen. The best software and hardware available – we are prime movers in “The New Stack”, our setup reflects that. We are growing rapidly and are looking for team members keen to grab hold, accelerate that further and shape our future.
What’s it like to work here?! check it out: https://tyk.io/worklife/
Tyk aims to be an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
You can see more about us here https://tyk.io