Who are Tyk, and what do we do?
The Tyk API Management platform is helping to drive the connected world and power new products and services. We’re changing the way that organisations connect any number of their systems and services.Whether internal, external, public or highly encrypted systems, Tyk helps businesses drive value across the retail, finance, telecoms, healthcare, or media industries (to name just a few!)
If you’ve banked online, used an app to check the news, or perhaps even driven a connected car, API’s, and by extension, Tyk, make that possible. Founded in 2015 with offices in London, Atlanta and Singapore, we have many thousands of users of our B2B platform across the globe. Brands using Tyk range from Lotte, Bell, Dominos, Starbucks, to RBS and Societe Generale. We have a varied user base hailing from every continent – even Antarctica.
Tyk is on a mission to connect every system in the world. We’ve started by building an API Management platform.
Total flexibility, default remote, radical responsibility
We offer unlimited paid holidays and remote working from anywhere in the world, for everyone, Why? Tyk was founded on the principle of offering flexibility and autonomy to our employees, we believe this allows our employees to achieve their best results. It also means we can build the best possible team, location and working hours are no barrier.
If this sounds like an environment that you believe could work for you then read on to find out more.
You will be responsible for designing and building high quality and customer centric solutions within our platform team. You will work with Senior Product Managers, Technical Leads, UX Designers, QAs, and a team of talented engineers to bring our vision for the platform enablement team to life. This role also will play a key part in our continuous improvement journey, helping us build out high levels of pipeline automation, great unit testing, and ensuring we live up to our engineering policies, processes, and standards.
Our platform team looks after enabling capabilities which other product teams consume – for example, our Tyk Identify Broker, back end plugins, Tyk Sync, Tyk Pump, and our multi datacentre bridge
We are keen to invest and improve our junior engineers, so you’d have a line manager who is committed to your development
Here’s what you’ll be getting up to
- Occasional input into strategic direction of platform enablement, working with the Product Manager to suggest new ideas or challenge existing strategy
- Focusing on creating great quality , low technical debt, and optimal experience solutions for our our customers
- Being an advocate and driver for continuous improvement and operational excellence – increased automation, safer pipelines, more disciplined code merge, better unit testing etc
- Code with care to ensure your feature to debt ratio remains healthy
- Code using well accepted design patterns that allow for future scaling
- Working with DevSecOps to embed a security first approach to our product iteration and ensure what is released is safe for our customers
- Pair programming with more senior engineers to drive up your skill set
- Consider the quality, maintainability and flexibility of code written by you and improve this over time with mentorship with more experienced engineers
- Be focused on ensuring we write automated tests for every new capability and bug fix
- Have an understanding on creating, and testing solutions for non functional use cases – technical debt reduction, documentation improvement, security, stability, bug fix. Work with experienced engineers to build your knowledge and approach here
- Be an advocate of adhering to Tyk coding standards – ensuring test cases are written, ensuring documentation is written, driving high levels of automation in our pipeline process, ensuring tests are passing before merge
- Learn, adopt, and input into our Scrum process , being an example in working to definition of ready / done, improving estimation, good quality ticket creation, input into grooming etc
- Be an input to our continuous improvement agenda – be it the clarity of our user stories, how we estimate, or how we ensure continuous testing, we expect this role to be advocate of continuous improvement
- With guidance from experienced engineers, learn, live and adopt a DevOps culture where we have a clear focus on release engineering quality and automation
- Be outgoing, and enthusiastic – we want engineers to challenge and have a voice
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Organized and exceptional attention to detail
- Passion for continuously improvement software delivery lifecycle
- Organized with exceptional attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- Hands on development experience scaling complex systems
- Backend engineering experience
- Passionate about working on and contributing to Open Source
- Some experience with software engineering best practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Designing highly-available distributed software
- Collaborative development
- Automated testing practices and continuous testing
- Continuous delivery
Nice to have
- API management experience
- Experience or knowledge in any of the following topics: distributed systems , analytics, 3rd party integrations, data stores, and different identity providers
- Concurrent programming experience
Here’s why you should join us:
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
- Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision packages
- 401k plan
- Everyone has unlimited paid holiday.
- We have total flexibility in hours, as we believe creativity flows better when our people are given freedom to decide when they are most productive. Everyone is unique after all.
- Employee share scheme
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- Company retreats
We all share the same vision – we value authenticity, respect, responsibility, independence, honesty, diversity and inclusion and most importantly treating others how you wish to be treated. We look for like-minded people who bring their personalities to work everyday, strive to achieve their personal goals and who are willing to challenge the way we do things, why? – to make what we do even better!
Our values tell the story of Tyk – here’s how:
- It’s ok to screw up!
We’ve found that it’s often the ‘stupid’ or unexpected ideas that turn out to be the successful ones – so try it, at least we can say we have!
- The only stupid idea, is the untested one!
It’s in our DNA – starting a business with founders 12 hours apart, giving our gateway away for free – sure, we did that, and we’d do it again!
- Trust starts with you – make it count!
Trust is a two-way street – instill it from day one!
- Assume best intent!
We have each other’s back – we’re all on the same team. Think before you speak or act.
- Make things, better!
Always try to leave things better than when you found them – change is constant, inevitable and embraced! Be that change we want to see.
What’s it like to work here?! check it out: https://tyk.io/worklife/
Tyk is an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.