Who are Tyk, and what do we do?
The Tyk API Management platform is helping to drive the connected world and power new products and services. We’re changing the way that organisations connect any number of their systems and services.Whether internal, external, public or highly encrypted systems, Tyk helps businesses drive value across the retail, finance, telecoms, healthcare, or media industries (to name just a few!)
If you’ve banked online, used an app to check the news, or perhaps even driven a connected car, API’s, and by extension, Tyk, make that possible. Founded in 2015 with offices in London, Atlanta and Singapore, we have many thousands of users of our B2B platform across the globe. Brands using Tyk range from Lotte, Bell, Dominos, Starbucks, to RBS and Societe Generale. We have a varied user base hailing from every continent – even Antarctica.
Tyk is on a mission to connect every system in the world. We’ve started by building an API Management platform.
Total flexibility, default remote, radical responsibility
We offer unlimited paid holidays and remote working from anywhere in the world, for everyone, Why? Tyk was founded on the principle of offering flexibility and autonomy to our employees, we believe this allows our employees to achieve their best results. It also means we can build the best possible team, location and working hours are no barrier.
If this sounds like an environment that you believe could work for you then read on to find out more.
You will be responsible for designing and building high quality and customer centric solutions within our developer portal team. You will work with Senior Product Managers, Technical Leads, UX Designers, QAs, and a team of talented engineers to bring our vision for the platform enablement team to life. This role also will play a key part in our continuous improvement journey, building out high levels of pipeline automation, great unit testing, and ensuring we live up to our engineering policies, processes, and standards.
Our developer portal team is building a ground up, brand new portal with exciting capabilities which set Tyk apart. You will be a key part of that team, developing back end capabilities to an exciting roadmap.
We’d love it if you had line management experience, and are keen to impart some of your knowledge in managing and growing junior engineers, but this is not essential.
Here’s what you’ll be getting up to:
- Contributing to strategic direction of the developer portal, working with the Product Manager to suggest new ideas or challenge existing strategy
- Focusing on creating great quality , low technical debt, and optimal experience solutions for our our customers
- Being an advocate and driver for continuous improvement and operational excellence – increased automation, safer pipelines, more disciplined code merge, better unit testing etc
- Responsible for ensuring your feature to debt ratio remains healthy
- Code using well accepted design patterns that allow for future scaling
- Working with DevSecOps to embed a security first approach to our product iteration and ensure what is released is safe for our customers
- Takes responsibility for the quality, maintainability and flexibility of code written by you
- A leader of ensuring we write automated tests for every new capability and bug fix and ensure this culture permeates.
- Have a clear focus on creating , coding, and testing solutions for non functional use cases – technical debt reduction, documentation improvement, security, stability, bug fix
- Be an advocate of adhering to Tyk coding standards – ensuring test cases are written, ensuring documentation is written, driving high levels of automation in our pipeline process, ensuring tests are passing before merge
- Be an advocate of adopting our Scrum process , being an example in working to definition of ready / done, improving estimation, good quality ticket creation, input into grooming etc
- Be a key shaper and contributor to our continuous improvement agenda – be it the clarity of our user stories, how we estimate, or how we ensure continuous testing, we expect this role to be advocate of continuous improvement
- Live and adopt a DevOps culture where we have a clear focus on release engineering quality and automation
- Be opinionated, outgoing, and enthusiastic – we want engineers to challenge and have a voice
- Mentorship and line management of junior engineers
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Strong backend engineering experience in Go
- Passion for continuously improvement software delivery lifecycle
- Experience of influencing and guiding product strategies through technical knowledge
- Hands on development experience with server development
- Team management and mentorship
- Experience of adhering to and improving operational excellence, with a keen eye on reducing manual effort and increasing quality
- Deep working understanding of DevOps best practice, particularly in relation to release engineering
- Good working experience of security first software development
- Very organized and exceptional attention to detail
- Passion for continuously improvement software delivery lifecycle
- Happy to input into and challenge product strategies based on technical knowledge
- Very organized with exceptional attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Hands on development experience scaling complex systems
- Considerable backend engineering experience
- Familiarity with Kubernetes or other orchestration tools
- Passionate about working on and contributing to Open Source
- Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Experience with Redis and MongoDB
- Designing highly-available distributed software
- Collaborative development
- Automated testing practices and continuous testing
- Continuous delivery
Nice to have
- API management experience
- Working experience of QoR frameworks
- Line management and mentoring experience
Here’s why you should join us:
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
- Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision packages
- 401k plan
- Everyone has unlimited paid holiday.
- We have total flexibility in hours, as we believe creativity flows better when our people are given freedom to decide when they are most productive. Everyone is unique after all.
- Employee share scheme
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- Company retreats
We all share the same vision – we value authenticity, respect, responsibility, independence, honesty, diversity and inclusion and most importantly treating others how you wish to be treated. We look for like-minded people who bring their personalities to work everyday, strive to achieve their personal goals and who are willing to challenge the way we do things, why? – to make what we do even better!
Our values tell the story of Tyk – here’s how:
- It’s ok to screw up!
We’ve found that it’s often the ‘stupid’ or unexpected ideas that turn out to be the successful ones – so try it, at least we can say we have!
- The only stupid idea, is the untested one!
It’s in our DNA – starting a business with founders 12 hours apart, giving our gateway away for free – sure, we did that, and we’d do it again!
- Trust starts with you – make it count!
Trust is a two-way street – instill it from day one!
- Assume best intent!
We have each other’s back – we’re all on the same team. Think before you speak or act.
- Make things, better!
Always try to leave things better than when you found them – change is constant, inevitable and embraced! Be that change we want to see.
What’s it like to work here?! check it out: https://tyk.io/worklife/
Tyk is an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.