Who are Tyk, and what do we do?
The Tyk API Management platform is helping to drive the connected world and power new products and services. We’re changing the way that organisations connect any number of their systems and services.Whether internal, external, public or highly encrypted systems, Tyk helps businesses drive value across the retail, finance, telecoms, healthcare, or media industries (to name just a few!) If you’ve banked online, used an app to check the news, or perhaps even driven a connected car, API’s, and by extension, Tyk, make that possible. Founded in 2015 with offices in London, Atlanta and Singapore, we have many thousands of users of our B2B platform across the globe. Brands using Tyk range from Singapore Post and Skills Future Singapore, to global organisations like the Financial Times, and Starbucks. We have a varied user base hailing from every continent – even Antarctica.
The internet started by connecting mainframes, by the end of the 20th century 600m desktop and laptop computers exchanged email and web-traffic. Today around 15 billion ‘things’ are connected to the internet, growing at a rate of a billion per year. Tyk are committed to enabling interconnectivity between systems and between devices. We’ve started by building an API Management platform.
Total flexibility, default remote, radical responsibility
We offer unlimited paid holidays and remote working from anywhere in the world, for everyone – for real. Why? Tyk was founded on the principle of doing things differently and offering flexibility and autonomy to our employees are two principles that, we believe, allow our employees to achieve their best results. It also means we can build the best possible team, location and working hours are no barrier. If this sounds like an environment that you believe could work for you then read on to find out more:
What can you do with us?
Our Engineering Technical Leads are integral to the way we think about and deliver products. This role is the engineering counterpart to our Product Managers within our devolved squad model; you will work closely with the Product Manager to look out to the horizon and put us in the best shape from an engineering perspective to hit our goals.
The role is varied – not only will you be on the code line, but also designing out architectural answers to our roadmap aims alongside leading a team of talented engineers to deliver the roadmap set out by the Product Manager. We’d also expect you to manage the performance, velocity, and quality of the squad and to be the point of accountability for engineering within your product area.
We’d want someone with a keen sense of engineering efficiency to design and optimise process and tooling improvements which drive exceptional quality and frictionless delivery. You’d also help us design and hit our objective key results (OKRs) each quarter.
We’d also want a lead who is data driven and evidence based; we want to improve our ability to evidence product quality through data – so it’d help if you are comfortable with setting and evidence KPIs.
We have a culture of radical responsibility so empowerment comes with the turf.
Ideally, you will also have experience as a Snr Go Developer that can work with our engineering team to deliver the next generation of the Tyk platform, both the open-source and the closed-source applications. You’re not alone, you’ll work with our growing team of Backend and Frontend developers, QA engineers and designers. We’re growing quickly, so we will want you to help us hire and expand our product team. Last but not least, we’re big believers in internal team development, which means you can help us train the next generation of developers through our graduate program through code reviews, pair programming and mentoring, and take advantage of the learning opportunities available through our internal programmes.
Here’s what you’ll be getting up to:
- Set the engineering vision for your product area – the target state architecture, operating model, resource plans
- Work with Product Managers on designing out the architectural response to the strategic roadmap
- Provide recommendations and benefits for new product capabilities
- Set the standards for architectural and coding principles and ensure they are met
- Ensure engineering teams work to the Scrum delivery process
- Continually improve engineering ways of working
- Be data driven in your approach, developing and reporting on KPI’s and OKR’s to provide objective evidence on how we’re doing
- Drive the test automation agenda for your product area
- Work with Product Managers on resource planning and budget submissions for new team members
- Lead, inspire, and coach a team of engineers
- Lead and participate in code and design reviews, teach to and learn from other engineers.
- Design and develop new features and enhancements for our products.
- Collaborate across the company to define, design, build, and improve our product.
- Ask questions, listen and then deliver solutions.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Leadership experience in a fast paced engineering environment
- Working experience of Scrum
- Demonstrable experience of shaping architectural solution to product proposals
- Innovative thinker, bringing new ideas to the Product Management team
- Very organized and exceptional attention to detail
- Be a challenger – if something is a bad idea, or can be done better, say it!
- Strong communication skills
- Experience mentoring junior members of a team
- Hands on development experience with both client- and server-side applications
- Strong backend engineering experience in Go
- Passionate about working on and contributing to Open Source
- Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g. unit/integration testing, code reviews, design documentation, pair programming)
- Experience with DevOps and Kubernetes is a strong bonus
Our early stage team members are shaping our business, there is an attractive package based on experience and performance that includes share options. Everyone has unlimited paid holiday. We have total flexibility in hours, so plan your day around your commitments to ensure you can give your best at work and at home.You will work with a talented, and passionate team of industry experts, who are developing a cutting-edge product that is driving change and innovation within startups and household names alike. We’re a distributed team. Work from our offices during induction if you want, once you are up to speed, you can work from home, a cafe, your mum’s house, wherever you get your best work done, we’ll support you in making that happen. The best software and hardware available – we are prime movers in “The New Stack”, our setup reflects that. We are growing rapidly and are looking for team members keen to grab hold, accelerate that further and shape our future.
What’s it like to work here?! check it out: https://tyk.io/worklife/
Tyk aims to be an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
You can see more about us here https://tyk.io