Who is Tyk, and what do we do?
The Tyk API Management platform is helping to drive the connected world and power new products and services. We’re changing the way that organisations connect any number of their systems and services.Whether internal, external, public or highly encrypted systems, Tyk helps businesses drive value across the retail, finance, telecoms, healthcare, or media industries (to name just a few!) If you’ve banked online, used an app to check the news, or perhaps even driven a connected car, API’s, and by extension, Tyk, make that possible. Founded in 2015 with offices in London – UK, London – Ontario, Atlanta and Singapore, we have many thousands of users of our B2B platform across the globe. Brands using Tyk range from Lotte, Bell, Dominos, Starbucks, to RBS and Societe Generale. We have a varied user base hailing from every continent – even Antarctica.
Tyk is on a mission to connect every system in the world. We’ve started by building an API Management platform.
Total flexibility, default remote, radical responsibility
We offer unlimited paid holidays and remote working from anywhere in the world, for everyone, Why? Tyk was founded on the principle of offering flexibility and autonomy to our employees, we believe this allows our employees to achieve their best results. It also means we can build the best possible team, location and working hours are no barrier.
If this sounds like an environment that you believe could work for you then read on to find out more:
This role requires an engineer with a deep understanding of the product and the user needs. A DX Writer in Tyk takes a user and developer-centred approach focusing on writing technical product content from the end user perspective.
Your audience will be technologists such as developers, architects, and technology leaders. To be successful in this role you must have a technical background in software development or engineering and recent experience with APIs, Docker, k8s, Helm charts and Hugo.
Our documentation is a crucial part of Tyk’s user and customer journey and as such, this is a fantastic opportunity to influence their developer experience, build a best-in-class Documentation centre for our users and be part of Tyk’s success.
Here’s what you’ll be getting up to:
- Independently writing technical content for Tyk’s products – guides, best practices, etc.
- Use and test the product on a regular basis when writing new content, fixing it or improving existing and old content based on your experience.
- Ensure content gaps reported and internally and externally are fixed and that the docs are up to date. This requires being able to investigate and test the product independently.
- Establish guidelines and standards for the docs team.
- Continuous improvement projects to improve the docs
- Work closely with many areas of the business, including product, product managers, engineers, compliance, legal and marketing.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Engineering background and experience – Required
- Experience with Docker – Required
- Experience with APIs, IDEs and HTTP clients (such as postman, curl, Httpie etc.) – Required
- Able to create simple diagrams, graphics, Diagram as code (i.e. mingrammer, PlantUML, mermaid) – Desired
- Google Analytics and other analytics tools – Desired
- Technical writer skills
- Writing technical content for developers and B2B products- Required
- Excellent spoken and written English (native or fluent) – Required
- Knowledge in git, GitHub and Markdown – Required
- US English knowledge – Desired
- Hugo, Algolia, Desired, JS, Github actions – Desired
- Live and breathe technology, APIs and Tyk products
- A learning mindset and eagerness to understand our products.
- A keen eye for detail and a fondness for accurate language and clear sentences.
- Enjoys making sure various pages are linked in a logical manner and work restlessly to improve if that’s not the case.
- Have an inquisitive mind; be able to put yourself in somebody else’s shoes and crucially not be afraid to ask why
- Thrive working under pressure to deliver fast, high-impact results
- Passionate about the UXDX ( user and developer experience)
- Initiative personality
Product understanding (user-centred design)
You can demonstrate a high level of technical understanding of APIs, OpenAPI Spec, GraphQL, Docker, and Kubernetes (You will need to test our product as an end user). You can review and evaluate content and improve it based on your product knowledge.
As an engineer, you can understand developers and empathise with their needs. You can engage in meaningful interactions and relationships with users, engineers and product managers while managing competing priorities. You can design content to meet developer needs and make complex language and processes easy to understand.
Prototyping and content design
You have a good understanding of the docs infrastructure architecture and website map. You can understand and implement ToV, style and standards. You can apply product knowledge to design page structures and templates to create a consistent experience. You can use data and evidence (such as Google Analytics) to make informed decisions about content. You can demonstrate experience in writing, editing and publishing developer-centred content.
Stakeholder relationship management
You can identify, analyse, manage and monitor relationships with and between stakeholders. You can communicate with stakeholders from various squads and teams clearly and regularly, clarifying mutual needs and commitments through consultation and consideration of impacts, while concentrating on our user needs
Here’s why you should join us:
- Everyone has unlimited paid holiday.
- We have total flexibility in hours, as we believe creativity flows better when our people are given freedom to decide when they are most productive. Everyone is unique after all.
- Employee share scheme
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- Company retreats
We all share the same vision – we value authenticity, respect, responsibility, independence, honesty, diversity and inclusion and most importantly treating others how you wish to be treated. We look for like-minded people who bring their personalities to work everyday, strive to achieve their personal goals and who are willing to challenge the way we do things, why? – to make what we do even better!
Our values tell the story of Tyk – here’s how:
- It’s ok to screw up!
We’ve found that it’s often the ‘stupid’ or unexpected ideas that turn out to be the successful ones – so try it, at least we can say we have!
- The only stupid idea, is the untested one!
It’s in our DNA – starting a business with founders 12 hours apart, giving our gateway away for free – sure, we did that, and we’d do it again!
- Trust starts with you – make it count!
Trust is a two-way street – instill it from day one!
- Assume best intent!
We have each other’s back – we’re all on the same team. Think before you speak or act.
- Make things, better!
Always try to leave things better than when you found them – change is constant, inevitable and embraced! Be that change we want to see.
What’s it like to work here?! check it out: https://tyk.io/worklife/
Tyk is an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
You can see more about us here https://tyk.io